Mastercoin is a digital currency, launched in July 2013. Rather than operating independently, Mastercoin is "built on top of the Bitcoin 'rails'". By February 2014, it had become the seventh largest digital currency, with a market cap of approximately $38 million.
In February 2014, Mastercoin held an "open call" for projects totaling $30 million in exchange for part of the 150,000 that were scheduled to be released.
- Mastercoin at Wikipedia
- Mastercoin: A Second-Generation Protocol on the Bitcoin Blockchain by Vitalik Buterin (November 4, 2013), Bitcoin Magazine
- Fed Up With Bitcoin? Here's How To Start Your Own Currency by Jasper Hamill (November 30, 2013), Forbes
- Mastercoin Foundation Lets Virtual Currencies Use Bitcoin Protocol by Nermin Hajdarbegovic (December 6, 2013), CoinDesk
- Master Protocol Creator J.R. Willett Joins Mastercoin Foundation as Full-Time Chief Architect (January 24, 2014), Market Wired / Mastercoin
- BitBeat: Bitcoin Exchanges Finally Getting Some Relief by Paul Vigna (February 14, 2014), The Wall Street Journal