How to mine CryptoNote currencies
For this tutorial I will be using Electroneum.
- Go to Electroneum's download page and scroll down to where it says "Direct Mining Software" then choose your operating system and click download. I will be using the Mac miner for this tutorial.
- Unzip the file and click on "electroneumd" to start syncing with the blockchain. It can take up to 24 hours to do so.
- Next create a wallet address. To do so click "electroneum-wallet-cli" and follow the steps to create a wallet.
- To start mining in "electoneumd" type "start_mining <wallet_address> <number_of_threads>".
- Congratulations, you are now mining Electroneum! To stop the miner type "stop_mining" and you can type "help" for more options.
The best way to mine for Electroneum is to do so with a mining pool. There are many choices with varying pool fees, donation fees and locations. To help reduce latency, choose a pool that's in a location near you. For this tutorial I will be using Terminal in Ubuntu 16.04.
Choose an Electroneum mining pool
- SpacePools EU Pool, 0.1% pool fee
- ETNPool EU pool, 0.5% pool fee
- dedpool.io US pool, 1% pool fee
- nocroom pool US pool, 0.2% pool fee
Create a wallet
Set up miner
- Install the following prerequisites
sudo apt-get install aptitude
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install –with-recommends build-essential autotools-dev autoconf automake libcurl3 libcurl4-gnutls-dev git make cmake libssl-dev pkg-config libevent-dev libunbound-dev libminiupnpc-dev doxygen supervisor jq libboost-all-dev htop
- Clone repository
git clone https://github.com/fireice-uk/xmr-stak.git
- Make new directory and compile code to mine with CPU
cmake .. -DCUDA_ENABLE=OFF -DOpenCL_ENABLE=OFF -DMICROHTTPD_ENABLE=OFF
- Set up mining client
- You will then be asked a series of questions to set up miner similar to this
- Do you want to use the HTTP interface?: 0
- Please enter: electroneum
- Pool address: e.g. pool.example.com:3333: pool.etn.spacepools.org:3333
- Username (wallet address or pool login): etnkKC7Ed1T62u1ZcADw7ZCpDAmudSe2CbW1NaYwUahzSwFty3WCTMYeVU4v1ADhZ1P9Wf1D2VRE6MnZGcvh5RXp5NEreL3rjk
- Password (mostly empty or x): x
- Rig identifier for pool-side statistics (needs pool support). Can be empty: <EMPTY>
- Does this pool port support TLS/SSL? Use no if unknown. (y/N): N
- Do you want to use nicehash on this pool? (y/n): N
- Do you want to use multiple pools? (y/n): N
- Once you have finished that your miner will begin mining
- To end mining type "control c".
To see your pool stats, look up your wallet address in the mining pool's website and you should see something like this:
- Congrats! You have successfully mined Electroneum